Baking and Building a Gingerbread House

Baking and Building a Gingerbread House

I am by no means a cook, in fact, I’m an awful cook. However, this year I was determined to make my own Gingerbread House, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do and this year I put it on my Christmas Bucket list and I succeeded! Check it out…it was actually easier than I expected.

I did add a little too much syrup to the mix which made it very wet and difficult to handle. My top tip for you would be to roll it on parchment and cut the template out, then cut around your gingerbread using the parchment to put it on the tray so you don’t have to move it from the parchment at all.

Build a Gingerbread House

Build a Gingerbread House

For the gingerbread

• 250g unsalted butter
  • 200g dark muscovado sugar
  • 7 tbsp golden syrup
  • 600g plain flour
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 4 tsp ground ginger

To decorate

• 200g bag flaked almonds (I didn’t use these as my partner doesn’t like almonds)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 500g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
  • 125g pack mini chocolate fingers
  • a generous selection of sweets of your choice, choose your own colour theme
  • 1 mini chocolate roll or a dipped chocolate flake
  • few edible silver balls (I got snowflakes instead)

You can read the full instructions on how to bake your own Gingerbread House here.

What do you think of the finished product? Have you ever made a Gingerbread house?

You can find all my blogmas posts here.

1. December 17, 2017 / 8:37 am

That gingerbread house is very cute! – I’d love to make a gingerbread house but I don’t like gingerbread so I’d have to feed it all to Robyn – Which he wouldn’t mind tbf. haha

Charlee || Rose above the Thorns

December 17, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Hey Charlee,

It’s super easy to make, a lot easier than I thought. Perhaps you could make some gingerbread cookies for Robyn.

2. December 17, 2017 / 2:27 pm

You go girl! Congrats! Well done 😊 It goes to show you, a person can do anything they put their mind to. I’m not a baker or a cook, so that’s not my calling 😛 Who knows, maybe your calling might be a baker or this would be a fun and delicious experiment you! When something looks this good it is hard to want to eat it, but at the same time that’s what would make it even more tasty 😉

December 28, 2017 / 8:10 am

Hey Kerri,

I still haven’t eaten the house! I did eat the extra dough though. I got a crock pot for Christmas so perhaps you’ll see more recipes on the blog.

3. December 17, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Wow! That looks so good – you’ve done such a good job. I so want to try it out but my baking experiments haven’t turnd out very well so far. I might just make some cookies. 🙂

Lavanya | Elle Files

December 28, 2017 / 8:11 am

Thanks Lavanya,

I’m super proud of this! My advice would be read and re-read the instructions and take it slowwww.

4. December 18, 2017 / 2:50 pm

So festive! I’m always uncertain about ginger since i tried ginger candy and it was a major no for me but i have to try this out! Great Job Ffi x

December 28, 2017 / 8:09 am

Hey Leenay,

I honestly was not a fan of ginger but it was so much nicer when I made it myself, I’d definitely give it a try.

5. December 29, 2017 / 2:00 pm

this is so cute! i think this has been the first year in almost 20 years that i’ve not made a gingerbread house and now i want to make one:’) xx

December 30, 2017 / 5:29 pm

Hey Laura,

I’m sure you’re probably a million times better than me at making them if you make them regularly! I’d love to see some of your creations over the years.