How you can give back this Christmas

Christmas

Christmas is a time for giving, giving back to your loved ones and giving back to the community.

As I was driving my partner to work this morning I was flipping through the radio, everyone’s talking about Christmas at the moment, but what struck me was everyone talking about the amazing initiatives happening in Swansea and the surrounding areas for those less fortunate or those in need.

If you’re looking for things you can do in your area this Christmas then I recommend turning on the radio and checking the local radio Facebook and Twitter pages.

Alternatively, here are a few other options you can get involved in:

Operation Christmas Child
Take an empty shoebox, fill it with Christmas gifts and drop it off at one of the designated drop-off areas. I used to do this every year.

Volunteering
There are plenty of places you can volunteer during the holidays, try your local churches, soup kitchens and charity shops.

Buy Charity Christmas cards
Buying Charity Christmas cards mean you’re giving something, you’re getting something. If you read my Christmas cards post then you know this can benefit you too.

What’s happening where I am?

Starbucks and Bernardo’s
Bernardo’s have partnered with Starbucks to allow customers to give Bernardo’s children a gift this Christmas. Pop in store, pick a tag from the tree, hand it to the staff and bring in a gift before the deadline. The gift will then be passed onto the child.

Denny’s Rucksack Collection
A brand new restaurant has come to Swansea and it happens to be Denny’s in Swansea who are making moves this Christmas by collecting gifts and donations for the homeless. They are also opening their doors on Christmas morning to feed breakfast to the homeless which I think is a really nice idea.

What’s going on in your area?

You can find all my blogmas posts here.

1. December 15, 2017 / 8:14 pm

I’ve seen a lot of things about giving back and helping people out this Christmas recently, especially for the homeless. I get charity cards every year but this year I’ve become much more aware of other things you can do for people. Haven’t seen anything specific to my local town though. x

Sophie

December 17, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Hey Sophie,

It’s definitely worth finding out what’s happening in your local area, I love getting involved in the local community. It’s so worthwhile.

2. December 15, 2017 / 11:15 pm

Great post! There are so many things going on in my local area, I have been and bought and donated toys to the Christmas appeal plus took part in the reverse advent for the local food bank.

December 17, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Hi Melanie,

It’s fantastic to hear you’ve got involved in the things happening in your local area, seems like you’ve actually been really busy this year.

3. December 16, 2017 / 2:10 pm

We should always think about the less-privileged and this is a lovely post. God bless you loads, dear!

December 17, 2017 / 1:51 pm

Hey Oroma,

I completely agree. To me Christmas is a time for family and charity.

4. December 16, 2017 / 7:38 pm

It’s lovely to see what local initiatives are happening. And I really like the Christmas Child shoebox idea, I’d heard rumours about it but I think I need to look it up and see where it’s being done near me. This is a really nice Christmas post, about what we can do for others 🙂

December 17, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Hey Keri,

Thanks for stopping by! Next year I’m definitely going to look at volunteering locally and doing a national project too.

5. December 16, 2017 / 8:14 pm

Aw what a lovely post, it’s definitely nice to give back to those less fortunate when we spend so much money on other people who don’t reallyyy need more clothes, perfume or toys.

Sarah | https://www.dreamofhome.co.uk

December 17, 2017 / 1:53 pm

Hey Sarah,

I agree and I think we should all do our best to give back, not just at Christmas but year round!

6. December 17, 2017 / 8:39 am

I always buy charity Christmas cards and I heard about the Denny’s opening day, I think it’s an absolute wonderful idea! The store looks fab too 🙂

Charlee || Rose above the Thorns

December 17, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Hey Charlee,

It’s great to see a big chain like Denny’s doing something for the homeless this Christmas. I’d love to see more big companies doing the same.

7. December 17, 2017 / 5:23 pm

This is such a brilliant idea! I recently gave away a bag of winter clothes to a Charity and I’m collecting some beauty bits as well. Getting involved with the local community is definitely the best place to start – thankfully my apartment’s community organises a few drives every year and it’s a nice way of getting everyone involved.

Lavanya | Elle Files

December 28, 2017 / 8:12 am

Hey Lavanya,

That sounds awesome, I wish I had more community projects around my area! I’m glad to hear you’ve got involved this year.

8. December 17, 2017 / 8:46 pm

The company I work for have recently teamed up with a local charity that help homeless people in the city, and they have collection boxes around all our office buildings for people to donate clothes, blankets, toiletries and so on to give to the less fortunate this winter – which I think is really nice!

I don’t have the time to dedicate to go out with them to all the homeless shelters and to people on the streets, but instead of selling all the bits I dont use from my subscription boxes i’ve been trying to do my bit and put them in the collection box in the hope that someone will get better use out of it than me.

Katt x

December 28, 2017 / 8:15 am

Hey Katt,

It’s fantastic to hear there’s several collection boxes near you, we could do with some more in Swansea.
      That’s a great idea on your part, I’m sure people in need will get use out of the items you donate.

9. Ash
    December 18, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Volunteering is always a great way to give back during this season. It costs nothing and you’ll feel happy after!

Ash | http://www.theashtreejournal.com

December 28, 2017 / 8:08 am

Hey Ash,

I definitely agree I’d really like to do more next year.